Thursday, July 14, 2011

Quarter Life Crisis !!!

I turned 25 on June 9,2011.I was woken up by my parents, who wished me "happy birthday", and dragged me out of bed. I started off my day with a visit to the temples, and returned home to find a big party being arranged by my aunt at her place. The presence of my parents, bro, cousin, sis-in-law, grandma, and other relatives made it a very special affair for me. It was a memorable day, and I had my aunt to thank for, for making it a special day in my life. Unlike last year, I had decided to spend my birthday with my parents and relatives. I planned my holidays accordingly. Birthday's have always been a very silent affair for me. My friends broke the trend last year, throwing me a surprise party. Perhaps the sweetest memory I had in my two years of IIT life.

However, birthday wishes from unexpected quarters brightened my day further. Sreetama, was the first to call me at 12 am, followed by Ashish. I knew more were to come. However, no one called until morning, and I was again surprised to see an SMS from Pradeep. I received another call from Sharmada, and I knew more were supposed to come. There was no word from my five dearest friends..Gaudhaman, Abhijith,Sourav, Sindhu and Krishnakali..I was a little disturbed, and I dropped an SMS to all five with the following content:

"This is ur last and final chance to wish me on my 25th bday. Hurry !!! offer valid till 11.59pm today"

Abhijith called me immediately,wished me and chided me for not posting my bday on FB, followed by Sindhu, who was really sorry for missing the date. Krishnakali called me a little later with a rhetorical tone asking me "Why, no one wished you or what ?". I was a little shaken, and by the time I thought of an answer, she had wished me, and I hung up thanking her for calling. She followed it up with an SMS that left me awestruck. Gaudhaman was down with severe food poisoning and he was on sedatives. He rang me, and blamed it on the sedatives for having put in sleep for almost 12 hrs. However, the sad part was, Sourav, could not call me, as he was super busy with his marriage preparations.

Now, an obvious question would prop up in the readers mind, why am I writing about this at 4am in the morning after more than a month? Today, my friends Sreetama, Abhijith, Gaudhaman and krishnakali outsmarted me, and gifted me a Shirt. I had expressed my disapproval to the trio Sreetama, Abhijith, and Gaudhaman against any such celebrations, but they went ahead,bought the gift and tricked me into going to MoD with them. It was a pleasant surprise (or was it?) and it left me thinking how much they care for me. I am sure a huge void would be created in my life when Gaudhaman leaves IIT for Germany. He was a younger brother to me, one whom I used to scold, advise, and listen to. I guess he was privileged to get the odd slap from me once !!! There is also some talk about Abhijith and Sreetama too leaving IIT. Abhijith, is more like a mentor to me. He advised me on the nuances of maintaining personal relations, when all I bothered about was maintaining Professional relations. Sreetama,is a confidante, who chides me, if I am wrong and supports me all along, if I am right about something. These are gaping holes which cannot be easily filled. The very fact, that I would miss all three of them in the nearby future is making me jittery.

Many of my friends had asked me recently why I had suddenly become serious. I can only tell you that I am preparing for the impending transition that is going to happen in my life. I am the one who will face it, and hence, I need to be better equipped. I need to learn to live without a little brother around, I need to live without a mentor, and I should do away with a confidante. I have reasons to worry about, and at times it just translates into my basic nature. Well, I apologize to those friends who found it little irksome. Well I guess, this is what they call quarter life crisis !!!

8 comments:

Joseph said...

A very good read Sandeep and a warm welcome to quarter life crisis :)

Abhijeet Kshirsagar said...

ok..sandeep chill!! am not going anywhere for next six months..., so u have 2 voids to worry...

As i said u shouldn't get prepared yourself....just let it happen...feel the emptiness...miss ur frds...see how it makes u feel...

and i bet after 2-3 days you will be fine...and would start making new frds...and moveon with life...

and remember we are just a call/sms/email away.... :)

Sandeep said...

@Joseph

Thanks buddy :)

@Abhijith

Well yeah, I shud see and feel d emptiness. Maybe I am jumping the barrel a little too early

Unknown said...

well, i read it some wer, may be in one of my Vedanta book that I hv purchased from the Jagdish Ashram, near Renaissance. It was written that in our life we come across many ppl, some of them get along with us smoothly and some of them dont, while some of them we wish to be with us, but they really dont come along. The thing is may be from some of those who r along with us may be der forever & some of them may leave us for their destiny leads them far from us, may be we meet them soon or may not meet them for years or forever. The book said that we should be thankful and feel gratitude towards the GOD, that we came across some of the good ppl, from whom we learned/shared many things and its like a blessing to have the presence of good ppl(the book said great, noble souls!) in our life. But again its not in our hands to decide who we'll come across and how much time we'll be together in this journey called "LIFE" :)
I was and I am thankful to GOD for good ppl like RPP, Jha, Meeshoo, Gaudy, KAC, Abhi, Amey, Sumit, Siva, Sheebesh, Pankoo,.. and many more who have left IITB or who will leave IITB sooner or later..
The best thing that i felt wen i had a talk with RPP regarding this, he told me in his characteristic tone, the tone that has relieved me ever since i met him first at 3rd Bangalore Nano Conference, wer he got to knw dat wat a moron I am. He said "abey pagle, tu kitna senti ho raha hai, chill maar yaar, ash kar.."
So I would like to say that yeah ppl are leaving us its journey and we'll soon meet each other hoping the best...

Unknown said...

and yea, wen we make friends, it means friends forever, so no point in being sad, we'll be meeting soon, having same kind of fun that we hd till now.. :D

Abhay Ketan Warikoo said...

Ahh now I get the Why so serious part!!! Nicely written!! Dont worry man, people say goodbye only to meet again!

Raja said...

Hi Sandy.... Hope you remember me... After long time i read your blog... its as always very interesting....

Sandeep said...

@Raja
I do remember you..Thanks for the comment