Sunday, September 20, 2009

Random Thoughts

Many of my friends, during their college days longed for a chance to stay away from home. Many envied the guys who used to stay in hostels. Hostels, as they put it was the ideal place to lead their own life in their own way. It has been an year since graduation, and I still maintain a healthy relation with most of my friends. The voices which always longed for freedom has subsided. The prospect of spending a week at home enthralls them, more than anything. Many are longing for a transfer back to their home town. The reason being "Home Sweet Home".

Over the last one year I have been away from home for over 7 months now. I spend each day thinking of when can I go home and spend some time with my parents. I lost the job at Siemens, the only positive I took from it was, the very fact that I could spend sometime with my parents at home. Might sound preposterous, but i mean it. It was four jobless months, and my parents often bore the brunt of my depression and wild mood swings. They were inspiring, supportive and kept me going. My parents were happy that I was staying with them for so long, after a gap of 3.5 months.

I had an interesting telecon with one of my friend, a practicing lawyer here in Mumbai. He was wondering when can he spend his time doing nothing like those days during our summer vacations in school. Watching movies, reclining on the couch. He plans to write a book and perhaps if it clicks, he would quit his job and spend his time at home on his 'couch'. The message is pretty clear. It is neither laziness, nor love for easy money. It is the longing for those days of 'bliss and solitude' . Those were the days, when we were all free birds. No tensions(except for those exams), no big thoughts, no humongous responsibilities.The thought process, might seem very comfy, or to rephrase, a longing for an easy life with no hard work. It has nothing to do luxury, nor a longing for easy money. The point in contention is that the best days of our life has gone by, and we are all now part of this fiercely competitive world.

My brother has moved to Chennai as part of his job, and I am in Mumbai. My parents have fallen into those category of parents who have both their children away in different places. News of my brother or me coming home for leave makes them happy. After all, I believe these are those little moments of happiness that we as sons or daughters can give our parents.I had some plans for going to Bangalore to visit my friends during the first week of October. My mother asked me, if you can come to Bangalore, why can't you come to Kerala. I was in  dilemma. I had to make a decision. After days of deliberation I decided in favor of my parents.

 I had been home for onam for about ten days. I came back to work at Mumbai, and the very next day I called my parents and told, when shall I come again. Maybe I am home sick or whatever you may call it. Now I have booked my tickets to go home again on the 25th of September for another ten days.  

Yipee!!!Home Sweet Home

 

5 comments:

Jiks said...

On similar lines this same feeling was one of the main factors that shaped my dreams to become a business man. A job that lets me to be with my family and still be the small kid I was, whenever I wanted.

Though not pretty much there. I am optimistic that I am on my way, and will achieve it if God wills.

Sreehari H said...

i don't know. I would really love to lead a TARZAN life.Anyways i want to see people once in a while.

Unknown said...

Best of luck in maintaining your opinion.

Anonymous said...

I never had those "Need to be free from parents" feeling. 've Spent 2 evil years in navodaya, when i was in my 6th. that debacle was of no particular use to me in my personal development except to understand how important, are our parents..

Perhaps, that itself is the most important learning one can have.. the importance of relationships..

Sandeep said...

@Jeevs

Yes, now i m back home again. Had to shell out double the amt as my air fare...anyway d experience s priceless