Sunday, June 14, 2009

Before you take the plunge

Mistakes are the portals of discovery

--James Joyce
An year back, my mother insisted that I go for higher studies than a job. The perks, and the brand value of the company I was placed in, ensured that, I turned a deaf ear to her words. Over the last four months, I had lots of time for introspection. I was analyzing the various judgmental errors I had made over the past year and half.

I realize that joining Siemens was not a mistake, but it was my perceptions then that was totally out of place. I am listing down the major flaws in my judgment
  1. Vague picture on the pyramidal structure of company hierarchy.
  2. A couple of years of experience within an organization= MTech /MS/MBA
These flaws do have a significant amount of correlation between them.

When you are one among the many hired by a company, don't forget that the company is not bothered about you but the group as a whole. As a BTech/BE graduate you are nothing more than a needle in a haystack. You are at the bottom of the pyramid. With experience comes an increment in salary but a promotion within the organization does take time. If you are lucky enough, and talented you may get promoted to the next level (I hope you have seen the italicized words). At Siemens (my former employer), the first promotion would have taken a minimum of three years, though your salary would have increased substantially by then (Thanks to global financial crisis,Salary Increment is history). You would always be on the firing line,project interviews, yearly reviews is the order of the day. It can prove to be too stressful on many an occassion. The driving point here is you need to better equipped than the rest.

How do you acquire better skill sets?

I am not a career adviser, still I can give a few tips out of my limited experience.
Take a break from your job, and do a PG or an MBA. Now you may think, i am towing the same line as any other career adviser. The point maybe the same, but always bear in mind, you are at the prime of your learning ability when you are young. Go for it, before it is too late. Once you are done, you will be one or two steps higher on the pyramid, when you join the same/another company for a job, where as others will be reeling at the bottom.

Most of my friends who are employed at top notch companies have expressed resentment over the lack of job satisfaction, whenever they have called me. Some even went to the extent of seeking advice on how life is like if they quit/lose the job. The matter of fact is none of them are willing to despise their staggering 5 digit salaries and toil again for a new lease of life. Well, I can say it really needs courage and boldness. Given the chance, I too would have gone my friend's way, but their was no choice for me. Chance and not choice had determined my destiny. The crux being, you got a life to live, and why are you wasting it by doing something you don't want to do?

Well, my dear friend, I have given you some pointers on how your career path can be shaped. The onus is on you. After all, "Freedom is not worth having unless you have the freedom to make mistakes"--M K Gandhi.

FYI:

Thanks to the almighty, I have found a career path in research and development (As a research fellow at IITB). It is a dream come true, and I can't express the sense of satisfaction I feel now, despite being offered a 4 digit salary. Hope I have a fruitful stint at IIT.

5 comments:

Abhi said...

Congrats on the transition. Nice words, especially the starting paragrapgh, about the misconceptions. But in my case, my job DID help me in getting selected to the dream course i always wanted to do. That was what differentiated me from the CROWD. My career advice would be to be the best wherever you are and get noticed even if there are 1000 people in the joining crowd. That's the only way to get to the top

Sandeep said...

I am in no way undermining the importance of taking up a job.To pursue a technical degree after three or four years after graduation is beyond doubt a tough proposition.I do recall here that nothing is impossible.

"getting selected to the dream course i always wanted to do"--You are echoing the same sentiment, Do something that you want to do.

!!-Make ur own Destiny-!! said...

Hi congrats man..nice article.

Hari said...

You took the plunge right? :P

I too want to do a job first, sadly I don't think I'll get any in the near future. :(

I guess I'm doing post graduation directly, thanks to your post!

Shwetha Krish said...

Thts very well put sandeep , i agree with ye