Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Who is to blame???

Disclaimer: This is a highly sensitive article.If i offend anyone;i sincerely apologize.
I am not concerned about the literary value of the article.I just want to put forward a question to the readers and i want your sincere views,even if it offends me..

A strange event that happened during my routine visit to a temple really disturbed me.While praying i heard an argument between the 'poojari' & a devotee.I gave an ear to it,and i came to know that the 'poojari' was incidentally upset over the fact that the person had touched him.I heard the 'poojari' saying "ini njan Kshetra kulathil poyi kulikkanam"which means,"i need to take bath in the temple pond".I was shell shocked,and at that moment i felt such hatred towards the 'poojari'.Some weird thoughts came to my mind.If the 'poojari' can use the money used by the so called untouchables;can breath the same air as we all do etc...My mind was filled with such thoughts.

I returned home with a turbulent mind,and believe me,the 'poojari' was the person i hated most.I told my parents about it,and they were a not surprised to hear it.They came up with a plausible explanation."The 'poojari' only did what he was taught to do".Or in short he did his 'KARMA'.It was a mind boggling explanation,and i had no words to counter it.The storm in my mind blew away,and i felt sympathetic towards the 'poojari' who had to take a dip in the cold waters of the pond.

Who is to blame?.The 'poojari',the devotee or the system.I still don't know.All i know is that however developed our nation becomes people will still remain narrow minded.Caste,creed and all such social evils will compartmentalize our society.It will create different strata in society(to an extent political parties to play this card for electoral advantages.The implementation of OBC reservation in the higher education sector is a recent example.I believe reservation should be for the 'have nots',and not caste based).
I seek an answer from you,the reader.Please post your opinions as comments..

14 comments:

midhun said...

sandy , nee ninte manassu vishamippikkaruthu ketto.. :) ...
( U must go to temple AGAIN & AGAIN .... mmmmmmm... )

Sreehari H said...

for pointing out the prevalence of such things even in the present day society this is truly a better blog in my opinion.

I agree with the fact that reservations are not creating equality but destroying unity.

Hari said...

Untouchablity still prevails! :-( How sad! Equally shocking too!!

It is indeed a paradox that while the resurgent India is scaling new heights in numbers (even in inflation), while totally-retrograde and primal customs like untouchablity among the so-called 'high' castes is STILL high!

Castes should be done away with, someday...

Anoop C Jacob said...

really sad.
the world needs a change !!

Unknown said...

aliya we shud kill tht poojari..............such nasty behaviour bfr the gr8 sandy

Unknown said...

lajjavaham

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to strike a discordant note here, but i believe that the poojari was not practising untouchability for the following reasons:
a) In the course of his duties, he is deemed to be touching god. and god cant be touched by persons who aren't purified as per the religious texts.
b) Even a brahmin is not allowed to touch a poojari while he is performing his duties
c) If he was, say, travelling in a bus, i.e. any time other than while performing his duties, i'm sure he would have no problem in bumping into someone.

After all, religion has to be given its due.

Sandeep said...

Well 'Mal',i realized that part,when my parents told he was doing his duty,and hence i felt sympathy.Ur explanation seems to be in line with theirs,and your third point has resolved the issue for me..Thanks 'Mal'..:)
The 'Poojari' a bit harsh on the person who touched him & that was more disturbing.If u were an eyewitness to wat u saw their,u 'mite' tend to disagree with ur comment.My rational thoughts had evaded me,in that situation,and hence i made such a writeup.
After all Blogging does help resolving issues..:)
Well,i m not being naive;but i feel the caste system is still deep rooted in society.The numerous news stories on Dalit families being tortured clearly vindicates my statement(though that is a different story all together).

Anonymous said...

theres a small detail u kinda took for granted in this incident... theres no proof of which caste or creed the devotee is.. what i mean is tat the pujari isnt practising untouchability but jus the basic protocol of doing services to god.. u always bathe before u go to temple na.. why??.. its as simple as tat.. who knows from where devotees are coming from??.. so to be on the safe side of it he must have gotten angry... nee enthonu dai simply draggin in caste problems and all.. u are crazy !!! :D

Anonymous said...

by telling to be on the safe side i meant he has to avoid into gettin into physical contact with anyone irrespective or caste or creed to maintain high hygiene.. so he obviously had to take a bath again..

Sandeep said...

It was purely an eyewitness account on the incident.I have no intention of dragging in caste related issues,and I would never do it.
If u had carefully gone through the article,your opinion would 've been more refined.I had considered the multiple dimensions of the incident.I believe,my view points ranged from instinctive to analytical.
About hygiene,search in google for the diseases,one can acquire by talking bath in highly polluted water.:-D

Anonymous said...

polluted water alle.. ha well caught.. :D. what i had meant by u dragging caste was based on ur last paragraph.. indian's narrow mindedness and ur issue dint have much connection.. tats what i meant..u did analyse the issue but it went in the wrong direction according to me.. u shud have asked opinions of why people still follow traditions which were set by people eons ago when world wasnt even considered round ??? :D

Anonymous said...

sorry.. the above post is mine.. forgot to type in the name.. jus got up.. :D

Sandeep said...

ya it is time we change our attitude,our outlook towards society.I hate ppl in family talking about caste related topics and so on..My disgust towards a system which nurtures this caste system(i mean vote bank politics) was echoed towards the end of the write up.It doesnt make much sense whether u've a sikh or a dalit as PM,but the person should 've proven credentials..