Saturday, November 24, 2007

My tryst with 'ubuntu'

On a fine Saturday morning in October,i decide i should give a break to "Windows XP".My decision was not something out of the air.It had strong reasons.The formation of The "Free Software Cell(FSF)" in college opened my eyes to the promising world of free softwares.Free softwares were the talk of the town(college...).Being extremely choosy when it comes to doing anything with the computer,i had turned a deaf ear to LINUX all these years.There was one guy in class,who for the past year was canvassing us on the power of "Ubuntu".I had turned a deaf ear to his words,for the reason cited above.
The new found excitement about 'linux' ,in college instilled a strong desire to try out Ubuntu.Still wonder why i took that decision...:)
I woke up early that dreaded day,downloaded Ubuntu from some source i dont remember,burned it into a CD.Everything went smoothly up to that point.I had some personal issues to deal with and finishing all those,i returned back to the computer by about afternoon.
I put the CD in and i was thrilled on seeing the starting page.I started installing it.There were many hurdles to face with.I went on until, i had to allocate memory to install "ubuntu".There started my problems.
I called my friend('a pro in linux'),who asked me to be careful about it,and advised me not to allocate the space where "Windows was already installed".Fate had it, i allocated that very "dreaded space".Without knowing what i had done.I continued with the installation.To my absolute despair,the installation stopped at 82%..'dreaded CD'....I got nuts,so restarted the computer,and to my utter dismay,my screen read"Bootloader missing".It was then i realised my big mistake.I tried installing Linux again but the failed.
So i thought of formatting my hard disk,and reinstall Windows.I took my hard disk to my friend's house,with the hope of recovering the data from the hard disk and then Format it..
Think i was having the best time in my life.
My friend connected the Hard Disk, to his system...
I smelled something burning,and in no time i saw smoke coming from my hard disk.My friend was in a state of shock.I was totally shattered.Cursing myself i took the hard disk to the service center.They accepted the Hard disk woth much reluctance,and finally after some lecture on Guarantee and stuff,they agreed and promised to repair it in 20 days time..
20 days seemed too much of a pain.Finally i got my Hard Disk back.And here i am telling the tale to u..
Now if at all i feel like using ubuntu,i use the live cd,and it is a sheer delight using 'ubuntu' .
So beware,never get careless while doing things that are important...:)

PS:-I am in no way making derogatory remarks against ubuntu or Windows.

5 comments:

vineeth said...

i think u should have waited for some more time @ 82% .i too noticed d same prob...it took me almost half an hour to move frm 82 to 83....After installation it sucks, (in d sense that running programs).If d "PRO" have read this he will kill me.....he told to do so & so.....I tried once d UBUNTu.I liked only itz looks.BUt he(PRO) is saying that its d best .Again regarding ur HDD u r lucky to get back in 20 days.It took almost 40 days 4 me to get my HDD(SAMSUNG) back. So i can understand ur feelings.....At that time time i was using a 10 GB HDD with some xtra sound effect :).My RAM also had some prob at that time, that was my situation...

Hari said...

Sad. I've also been dying to get into the linux bandwagon, guess this should prevent me! :d

Btw, chetta, did your hard disk ACTUALLY did your hard-disk crash because of the ubuntu disc??? ;-)

Hari said...

*Excuse the error in my previous comment! I can't type, thanks to a shoulder injury...

Great narration, anyway!!

Sandeep said...

No my HD crashed due to some unknown reason..The CD was just the beginning .

Sreehari H said...

this seems to be another short but shocking walk down the memory lane which includes a moral too.ha ha